What is PLA?
Learning Land Nursery is a member of the Pre-school Learning Alliance, the largest early years membership organisation in England.
We enrolled in the Reflecting on Quality program to ensure that the quality of childcare we provide is the best. The program reviews our practices, facilities and professional development and works on individuals’ strengths and weaknesses.
The program took place over the course of 18 months. Our manager, teachers and teaching assistants took part in the program. Our mentor from PLA would come in for training sessions over the course of the 18 months.
What happened at the nursery?
By reflecting on quality and improvement, we have implemented many changes along the way. We have made some wonderful changes to the nursery over the course of the program. This includes:
- A sensory garden
- Increased role play
- Plans for a new baby room – we will now be accepting children from the age of 3 months! A lovely baby room is in the process of being made and we’ll be welcoming the babies in starting September.
- Changes in our classroom planning
We have enhanced the way we:
- focus on child development through creativity, imagination, use of age-appropriate activities and materials and planning
- work as a team to create a warm and welcoming environment
- partner with parents to enhance the learning experience for each child
Our sensory garden workshop – learning how to use the sensory garden to make it a fun and beneficial learning experience for the children.
PLA walkaround – reviewing the changes that have been made with our Reflecting on Quality mentor.
This presentation at our nursery documents the changes that have been made and shows how we work with parents, children and the wider community.
What’s happening now?
Now the 18 months have ended and PLA representatives visited the nursery to review our changes. We are delighted to say the visit went really well! Our work has been sent to the UK and we’re waiting to find out if we have been accredited. We’ll keep you posted! Fingers Crossed!!