Choosing a primary school can make many parents suffer from anxiety about making the right decision and, while this is perfectly normal, there are a few steps you can take to ease the tension.
- Do your research - you don't have to send your child to the closest school to your house. It's worth your while doing some research, speaking to other parents and reading reviews before deciding on a school.
- Visit the school - great pictures and smiley faces on brochures might not be everything. A physical visit to the school is the best way to get a feel for it and see the environment first-hand before making a decision.
- Allow yourself plenty of time - many schools run out of spaces months before the beginning of the school years while others have lengthy enrolment processes including assessments. To avoid the stress of last minute school-hopping and settling for a school you're not happy with, give yourself sufficient time to find the right school for your infant.
Questions to ask yourself:
- Will my child be happy here?
- What feel do I get from this school? (the facility, hygiene, the guided tour and the staff).
- Based on the information I have been provided with, will this school be able to cater for my child’s needs and interests?
- How happy do the children look?
- How do I feel about the location and distance from home/work?
Questions to ask at the school:
- What are the school’s previous academic results?
- What opportunities are there for parent and family involvement?
- How many children are enrolled here and how many children are there per class?
- Do you offer extracurricular activities?
- What facilities do you have here?
- Do you provide transport?
- What are your fees and timings?
- What are your policies with regards to homework?
- What curriculum do you follow?
- Ask situation specific questions that matter to you
We are proud to say that graduates of our nurseries in Dubai have moved on to some of the Dubai’s best primary schools. Good luck choosing a primary school for your little one!